The request of the Lekki Concession Company (LCC) to take possession of the tollgate has been turned by the panel set up by the Lagos state government.
Recall that the Lekki Concession Company (LCC) suspended activities at the toll plaza after the shooting of October 20, 2020.
The suspension of activities came after soldiers had forcefully dispersed #EndSARS protesters who blocked the toll gate for 13 days.
Subsequently, an angry mob destroyed some facilities at the toll plaza.
Speaking at the panel sitting on Tuesday, counsel to LCC, operators of the toll gate, Rotimi Seriki asked the panel to allow the firm to take possession of the tollgate in order to evaluate the level of damage ahead of making insurance claims.
“My humble request is that if the tribunal doesn’t have further need to visit the plaza, the LCC should be permitted to take back possession of the toll plaza for the purpose of evaluation of the damage and commence the process of carrying out necessary repairs,” he had said.
Responding to the request made by the counsel to the LCC, chairperson of the panel, Doris Okuwobi agreed with LCC on the evaluation of the level of damage but she said the panel will not grant its request ye
She asked Seriki to encourage his client to make the request after the panel is done with the footage submitted earlier in the day.
She also said the panel might pay another visit to the tollgate.
In a related story, WITHIN NIGERIA reported that the Lekki Concession Company (LCC) has tendered a video footage recorded by its surveillance camera on the night of October 20, 2020 to the Lagos judicial panel on #EndSARS.
However, Abayomi Omomuwansa, the managing director of LCC who made the submission of the footage to the panel on Tuesday said the cameras stopped working from 8pm on the night of the shooting at the Lekki tollgate.